RCU Forums - View Single Post - Which Park Flyer ???
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Park Flyer ???

Sounds like you have a great setup for fun anytime you are home and have the urge. Youre best bet is the foamys, and to go electric with almost all the smaller stuff, you need 2.4. Fatuba makes a conversion kit for your radio, with that you are first class and good to go. You also need to buy a decent "Watt Meeter" before you start any electric project, also a decent charger. I suggest a cell-pro 4 up to the cell-pro 10. One has kept me out of trouble for years. Lots of good information out there in RCU and others, typically the guys are outstanding, but most expect you to do some on line research yourself for basics so they can be of more help with tough stuff.

Suggest you go to RC Powers for his free extra 300 foamy, and build per plans and equipment recommendations. It 3-D's well and will not cost a arm and leg for equipment that works well. Like most of the good 3-D machines, slow it down with expo and low rates and they make a great trainer. You need to find a good electric guy in the club if you can just to keep you out of trouble if you can. After several years playing with electrics my radios are a converted JR-10 and Spectrum-8, love both, no problems for a very old coot to usse.

Out of the 20 plus on the ceiling, the best flying balsa birds are higher end equiped, Hacker motors, Castle controllers and name brand batteries. But what flys and what gathers dust? Almost always, a precision airobatics Addiction X or the smaller addiction goes out and flys. Simply the best birds ever over around 50 years of loving the hobby, from racing to pattern to current 3-D. Why 3-D for a old 77 year coot. Well, personality flaws. Its a challange, love a challange. Flaw part is simply must be king of the hill crap. Am not best of the best, but trying. Tried rolling circles for several years. Got around a couple of time but then???. With the Addictions, whee, all day. Other advertised best of the best like AJ Extra sits and gathers dust. May be a good bird for good experts, but it snaps and wing wags. Don't need that.

Back yard is small, ok, but a park just down the road. For just having fun here, I have a bunch of Hobby King motors, controllers, receivers and batteries. Was shocked at how well their stuff works in the majority. Have had one bad motor bearing and one bad li-po cell over the years. Understand their system, stay with the USA warehouse if you can, remember almost all the electric manufactures ect. over rate their stuff, so most are adequate, gotta use the head, but lots of diamonds at very reasonable prices in there.

Hope this helps you out and eases things along. ENJOY >the old coot.