RCU Forums - View Single Post - Countdown to Perry!
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Countdown to Perry!

As reported earlier, my "Perry prize" this year was a early 1/4 scale Hanger 9 J-3 Cub. It's the 100" fabric covered version and came with Robert main gear and a Saito 120, good bones! I've spent the last 2 1/2 months cleaning, repairing, and upgrading it to my liking. I rebuilt, and repainted the Robert gear adding new "O" ring bungies, painted the interior cub yellow adding a pilot shelf with two pilots and a volt watch, added NC#'s to the wings and tail, panel lines for a cockpit door, repaired and repainted the cowl with foe engine painted, new wooden prop and aluminun spinner,repaired the wing struts, repaired and painted the flying wires in the tail, upgraded nuts and bolts as needed, added RX and battery, added a fueling valve, cleaned and reinstalled the fuel tank, remounted the Saito, rebalanced, reset all the control throws, and on and on and on! Finally it looked like it should and was ready to fly. Yesterday (Sunday) I did the maiden at the club field. SWEET....two clicks of left aileron and it almost flew itself! I couldn't be more pleased. For well less than 1/2 what a new Hanger 9 Cub would cost, with a little work I have a good looking and sweet flying 1/4 scale J-3 Cub. Thanks again to the gentleman from Blairsville, Ga. who sold it to me. Don't know yet what I'am going to shop for at Perry next Year, but I'll be there with my empty pick up truck and a pocket full of greenbacks. See you there.