View Single Post
Old 05-21-2012, 08:46 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My first Tamiya

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

Nah I plan on doing a BMW or similar American LeMans Series type of car. I saw them at the Long Beach Grand Prix in the morning practice in the rain and those cars are just EPIC. Way more exciting than the IndyCars there even...

Anyways, I still got no clue about gearing... are the gears F103 specific? Because I stripped my stock spur by using the wrong sharp pinion...

Yeah so I figure just longer post and new front bumper/mount.

[link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/360440218870?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649]adapter[/link] using that will allow you to use any kimbrough diff spur gear, get one with the balls already in it, and just pick up a 6-pack of steel pinions.

they are much tougher, more quiet and far more efficient than the crap tamiya uses.

its a crime how much the adapter costs because it looks like a a little shock washer and probably cost .01 to make 100 of them! but in the end its worth it.
A nitro car is quieter than Tamiya's gear noise...
So... will the new gearing make it faster? Or what exactly will it do....

I might do an F40 or Mercedes too... I have not clue what to do, but I think I will build up my grip F103.

Actually I might trade my brushless setup so I remeber seeing some guys running 27t motors with 25/100 gearing and they flew because you don't need as much acceleration on an F1... any thoughts on that?

Installing a REAL spur gear (not tamiya's crappy, big toothed, 6 balled spur) will improve diff function due to twice the amount of diff balls, the smaller gear teeth and improved material runs quieter, lasts longer, allows more gearing options and improves run time and acceleration.

25/100 sounds like 64P and thats fine but do know you will still be using aluminum pinions, with 48P you can buy STEEL ones. 64P is also whisper quiet.

also a 27turn motor can net you 30-35mph and crazy acceleration, brushless is nice, but you don't really need a high KV setup 3500kv is plenty and 4500 is crazy.