RCU Forums - View Single Post - Avalanche xte
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2012, 06:43 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Avalanche xte

ORIGINAL: PoopieBritches

$55,ouch! Yes,it is frustrating when somthing costs that much,and still have problems.Unfortunately,there are no set screws on these,it's a pressed fit,and the yoke pivots on the pin.I'll have to give the shrink tube a shot,and perhaps the tape if that doesn't work. I know that the xte series is basically a factory conversion from the nitro platform,there's a whole bunch of unused holes in the chassis were the nitro stuff would have been mounted.Unfortunately,the drive train doesn't seem to have been beefed up accordingly. After researching the shared parts between the buggy,truggy,and monster truck,I have found out that Redcat is using the same exact bl motor as well as the same gear ratios on all three versions.I mean,a buggy uses say 4'' tires,and the monster truck uses 6+'' tires,they should have at least changed the gear ratios.The diff cups look like butter.Oh,and the truck is also on it's THIRD motor using the same 4cell setup it came with.I have had much better luck with the Caldera 10e,aside from the steering servo,it's been great.
3rd motor...ouch.
The avalanche has a 10t pinion gear...the buggy has a 16t. same motor/esc...but the pinion gear on the truck is smaller to compensate for the larger tires.

I had a earthquake 8e...which had basically the same system. I didnt have problems with the motor or ESC in that truck. It was the diffs that were a pain. You had to shim them just right. If you did, they worked well. Got it wrong (or dont shim them at all) and the gears shredded.

The motor has a 5mm shaft and I think the gearing is mod 1...so you should be able to go on ebay and buy a pinion gear that is 1 tooth smaller. That will lower the strain and temps for your motor.

As long as there is room around the CVD for tape or shrink wrap (meaning it wont rub against the hub or arm) then it will work good to hold the pin in.
If you get desperate...super glue. LOL