RCU Forums - View Single Post - Avalanche xte
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 08:30 AM
PoopieBritches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Avalanche xte

Thanks for the replies! I did not realize that the pinions were different between them,sure makes sense tho.The stock motor for the Avalanche is 1755kv Leopard,36x60mm.After the first motor took the eternal dirt nap,I ordered a replacement from Hobbyking.Turnigy 1800kv 36x60mm,well(after waiting three weeks fromChina)that one didn't make it thru 2 battery packs before suffering the same fate as the Leopard.Obviously,I wasn't keeping a proper eye on the temps.My fault there.So,now down two motors,drive train issues abound,I,m thinking this motor is just not really enough to drive a nearly ten pound rc.I mean,I also havemy beloved Thunder Tiger MT4,which has been nearly indestructable by comparison.Of course as with any machine there are always some flaws,but it has proven to be very tuff.So,the MT4 has a 2000kv 40x72mm? Okay,so I need to put something with a little more capability into the redcat,and try to sort out(or shall I say scatter!)the drivetrain as I go..Firstly,the redcat motor mount will not accept anything but a 36mm can,so a new mount is needed to put anything bigger in the truck.The MT4 mount is simple,and cheap at 12 bucks,but,of course the holes don't line up w/the exsisting ones.I ordered up a turnigy trackstar from HK,in stock usa warehouse for 60 dollars,sweet! Now the trackstar is 2560kv 6pole,so on a 4cell setup,I'm spinning ALOT faster than the stocker.I dropped the pinion from 10t to 9t,spur from 47t to 49t(the smallest and biggest I could find).Made a motor plate from some 7075 aluminum plate that I had leftover from another project,mounted the new plate to the redcat chassis plate and now this thing is pretty frickin fast! But the drivetrain is certainly begging for mercy! As to the pain in the wallet,oh yeah,I feel the your pain! We are an rc family,wife,kids,we all have em.6 total at the moment! It sure does keep me busy,and I do love working on them.So,with regards to the money,I too have been forkin' it out. A couple weeks ago,I fried the esc in the MT4,I really have a problem with keeping track of the temps.Apparently,somewhere along the bashing trail,I got the motor hot enough to melt the shrink tubing on the motor leads,and they shorted out,and ended up burning up the esc.Not knowing whether the motor had also been damaged,I decided to stuff it in the redcat,it's fine,and the redcat is crying even louder with the added power of the MT4 motor,but has slowed down to a more manageable speed. Just got the new motor and esc for the MT4,Tenshock 802L 2200kv,and hobbywing 150a esc.So,the trackstar will be on standby,just in case. Sorry for the long story,and thanks again for the advice and input.It's def very helpful to get someone else's perspectives. With regards to the axles and universals holding up in nitro versus the electric,I would have to believe that the instant torque ability of the electric motor is just overwhelming them?.Alright,I have said too much already! Mike