RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?
Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

ORIGINAL: AB Bob

Lots of good, interesting posts.
For those who thought I was complaining, please don't read that into my initial post.
I could care less what people put in their planes. I just have never had the desire to do so, but I wouldn't complain, piss or moan about anyone who chooses to do so.
As many have stated, we do the things we do because we have fun doing them and because we can!
I have a BN Citabria that originally had a Fox .78 R/C engine in it. This plane has a nine foot wing span. It can, and did, fly with it but I'm retrofitting it with an O.S. 1.20, so I guess I am "overpowering" it by quite a bit (according to BN, anyway!)
Have fun. Life's too short not to enjoy it.
Bob
I bought that very combination around 1980 or so. I foolishly sold the plane kit but kept and ran the engine for many years. I'm guessing that if the OS 1.20 were available back then, that Bud Nosen would have recommended it!

About 15 years ago, I flew a 1/4 scale Laser 200, first with an ASP 1.08, then with a Magnum 1.20 2 stroke that seemed the perfect power for the plane. I had to remove the engine due to a rod failure and put on my MDS 1.48. The MDS was heavier, much stronger, but the plane just seemed to lose its magic with the heavier, stronger engine. It just wasn't the joy to fly as with the 1.20. I'm convinced there is such a thing as the "right" engine for a plane and that bigger is not neccessarily better.