RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?
Old 05-31-2012, 01:23 PM
bgosselin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?

@raptorboy: While the batteries in laptops, phones, cameras, etc are lithium, your analogy is not quite apples-to-apples. There are some substantial differences between batteries for these devices and those for R/C use:

1) Batteries for lower-powered devices (like phones and cameras) are mostly single-cell (1s) so no balancing is/can be done and so the charge circuits are much simpler. Multi-cell packs (like laptops) are made so each cell has a built-in monitoring circuit (BMS) that shuts off main current flow if temperature is exceeded or if any cell is over charged/discharged.

2) Cells are chosen specifically for the device to make sure they can easily handle the load. Not like R/Cs where people routinely stuff batteries of all types and sizes in their equipment which are not up to the task.

3) The charge circuits are integrated into the device so no chance for a erroneous cell count/amperage entry. Of course, someone could shoe-horn the wrong adapter that has the wrong output voltage/polarity, but sometimes you just can't account for all levels of stupidity.

4) Charge rates are usually lower than 1C.

5) Discharge C rates are far lower than just about any R/C I can think of.

And, despite all those manufacturer precautions, there still have been cases of battery issues in those devices, like pushinoldrc said.