RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?
Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?

A few years ago, I took apart an undamaged lipo battery cell. As I unwrapped the paper from between the black layers of material, the black material began to heat up and glow red. About a second later, it seemed to self-ignite, much like magnesium would. I had just enough time to toss the battery onto an open area on the concrete floor where it then burst into an intense ball of flames and sparks that lasted at least 20 seconds, then smoldered for at least a minute longer.

Another time, I drove a nail through a lipo battery. But nothing happened. I let the battery sit for several hours before going near it for fear that it might ignite at any moment. However, it never did.

I also witnessed a lipo battery that was just sitting on a bench, not being charged (and not damaged either), suddenly burst into sparks and flames.

My guess is that once these lipo batteries short-out, they can easily burst into flames and sparks. Whereas, most other batteries will simply discharge without developing any heat. I may have oversimplified, but that seems to be the bottom line.

As far as I'm concerned, I won't trust a lipo battery ... ever! You could do everthing wrong with it at one time and nothing will happen. Yet another time, they can burst into sparks and flames when just sitting on a bench.

Treat them as if they are dynamite.
1 - Don't leave them on a bench, table, desk, or on or near anything that could burn or catch fire.
2 - Always charge them on a cement floor, or in a ceramic bowl, and at least 3 feet away from anything that could burn.
3 - Always keep them in a ceramic bowl when not in use, and keep that bowl at least 3 feet away from anyting that could burn.
4 - Transport them in a ceramic bowl, or be willing to take the chance that they could catch fire at any given moment and burn your car down.
5 - Never trust them.