RCU Forums - View Single Post - Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 AM
colmo-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipo Fires Are Real![Fantastic Advice!] Can I ask for further help?

Just to be clear, IATA and UN have two different classes of dangerous goods assigned to batteries: items such as cellphone, laptop, electric razors, etc, use excempted LI ION batteries, that due to the low risk associated can be carried on a passenger aircraft. They have to be declared if carried as cargo, but need no special procedures or packaging. On the other hand, LIPOs ARE regulated, can not be carried onboard passenger aircraft as cargo or personal baggage, and require special packaging and labelling to be able to fly even on freighter planes.

Even with all the safety procedures in place, a DC 8 and a B747 both UPS have been totally destroyed by fire believed to have been caused by lithium fires. The last one crashed near a populated ared in Dubai a couple of years ago.

A LIPO fire will burn hottest for some 20 seconds, at temps of 800 degrees celsius. Sand needs more than 1000 to melt and so does terracota, so the famous pot half filled with sand is the safest way, although no very comfortable to carry in the car, hehe. I always carry my batteries in the famous metal ammo box, but I put each individual in a ziplock bag just to make sure they won't short or touch each other, though how they could beats me, really.