RCU Forums - View Single Post - Silly question about tissue paper covering
Old 06-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Silly question about tissue paper covering

I suspect where and how you got the idea of having wet paper.
No surprise you got a hole in it. It is not possible to stretch wet paper and next to impossile to apply it evenly without wrinkles.
Like I said, that was the turning point.

The method I use is:

Using thinners soluble dope (never heard of the other stuff) dope around the EDGE ONLY of the structure where you will
apply the tissue panel, when dry sand it lightly (when you dope balsa it goes all hairy).

Cut the tissue panel to suit with a bit of overlap to work with, scrunch it up in your hand, wet it then gently squeeze out the water.

Unfold the panel CAREFULLY & lay it over the frame. If it falls apart or turns to mush it's not rally model grade tissue.

Dope through the damp tissue to adhere it to the frame, gently pull out the wrinkles as you dope the panel on. If you have trouble getting the edges to stick you can use balsa cement which sticks a bit better, it's really only thick dope & the final coats of dope will even it out.

When it drys it shrinks tightening nicely. Give it a coat or two of thinned (about 30% thinners to full strength dope) waiting for the dope to dry between coats.

Leave it to dry overnight then admire what a good job you have done!

Yes, the work is a bit delicate, we are building model aeroplanes after all, not barns! - John.