RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Blade 450 3D up in smoke!!!
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2012, 12:31 PM
ATVAlliance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Blade 450 3D up in smoke!!!

ORIGINAL: Rustproofcorn

even if what your saying is what i SHOULD do i would come back with this information should be in the manual which in turn wouldnt be user error but infact an error on E-flights end. i highly doubt after 4 flights i damaged the battery in such a way that made it fail as you say. also i didnt fly the helicopter for 15 minutes strait but in reality there were ajustments i was making with trim and such. i never ran the battery completly out i have mine set up for 6minutes actuall flight time so that i dont over discharge which is in the manual which i read. anyhow i did feel thrown under the bus a little but thats ok if that is your way of telling people what you think. i will look at getting some velcro for my packs.

Sorry you took offense to my post...but that is why Iput emphasis on the "Please dont thinkI am trying to throw you under the bus" part of my post.

Its not what you should be doing because I say it...its what you should be doing because that is the standard procedure for ANYCPheli of just about any size from 250 and up. I agree with you that it probably should point out in the manual to do this...I cant say either way because I dont own one of the Blade 450's or know anyone that does at the moment. But there really is no sense in shooting the messenger here. Im just trying to help.

Also, it doesnt matter about the flights or how manyof them...to damage a LIPObattery. IFyou run a LIPObattery too far below 20% discharge...you CANand sometimes WILLdamage the battery when recharging it. Most chargers wont even attempt to charge a LIPOchemistry if it is below2.x volts per cell...I know mine wont, dont ask me how I know. LOL

Isaid what Isaid about taking them too far to total discharge based on the minutes that YOUsaid in your post. I'll quote you...

ORIGINAL: Rustproofcorn

i would say each flight was 15 minutes or so.
You indeed say that the flights were 15 minutes each, or so? 15 minutes is WAYtoo much and I am surprised that the ESCwould allow the heli to rotate for that long without the Lo Voltage protectiion circuit kicking in. So maybe you are way off on your estimate or the LVC is turned off on the ESC. If the later is true, I recommend you find out how to enalbe it and set it to around 3.3 vollts per cell.

Again, I was just pointing out that by the information you provided about flight times....you would have taken too much out of your pack. It only takes 1 time to dodamage and you said that you did this 4 times. So, the probability is there to have a damaged LIPOthat could have caused a catostrophic failure like you described with your post and pictures.Usually a damaged LIPOwill "let go" during the charge cycle...but they have been known to burst in flight as well.

As long asyou take knowledge away from thisand learn from it, it doesnt matter.Justalways velcro your batteries to the tray and then strap forextra safety, and try and keepbattery maintenance as a top priority by not overdischarging your packs.

A good practice for anynew heli you obtain is to charge a pack fully...then fly a 2 or 3 minute flight andstop. Recharge the battery and see how much you put back in...then youcan judge a safe flight time for that pack. Normally a 450 size heli is always good for 5-6 minutes on a 2200 3s pack, but dont take only my word for it.

Its always hard to tell how someone is sounding on the internet. I sometimes read posts and cant tell the other persons intention. So again Im sorry if Ioffended you. I wasnt trying to point and laugh...just simply trying to make you understand that the cause of this was the users lack of knowing what to do which caused a problem. And you arent alone...I have done similar by letting ESC motor leads get too close to a motor before and ripping one completely out!

In the end...its very positive testimony of Blade's customer service if they are giving you a replacement. Thats a lot of money to be out of if they had not. Good for you, and Blade! I like them even more as a company now that Ihear your story!