RCU Forums - View Single Post - Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:32 AM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Why the near obsession with over powering airplanes?

I can think of at least one airplane modelers commonly overpower - the most common high-wing, scale airplane in use at many flying fields today - the Piper J-3. Those that seem to be less knowledgeable use the mentality of: " if more is better, then too much is just right". Those that fly this airplane with engines in the upper ranges are missing something and may never experience the rewards of "flying on the wing".

A Cub just doesn't look right flying at a bazillion mph. Look at the full-size fly by some time. You almost can't fly a model of one slow enough to justifly realism. Power management with this mentality is also usually nonexistent and many don't even use the left stick (mode II) hence no coordination w/ rudder in turns. If you think that: "if I only had more power, I wouldn't be picking up pieces", then you need to learn how to fly. The larger engine in this case equals more weight and the airplane can never, ever fly the way it was meant to - even at reduced throttle settings...