RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to handle the guys with flawed plans?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

I acknowledge that simulators do a good job of training. I've soloed several students that had 20 to 40 hours on them, in less than 10 flights. The only help they needed was landing. In my opinion, the sims dont do a good enough job on landings. But its nothing that cant be solved with a few flights on the real thing, piece of cake. I teach landings by doing simulated landing approaches going lower until they're ready to land. Lining up with the runway takes a little practice. Those with sim time usually pick it up pretty fast. It would be great if everybody had about 20 hours sim time first. It would make my job a lot easier. I also acknowledge 3 channel flying can get you in the air. What you dont learn is aerodynamics when flying on your own. Thats the help I was given that turned everything around for me. And I would not agree that flying is flying. All of the students that had all this sim experience still needed multiple saves. Speculating in a perfect sim world is not my experience in real life. There are always outside variables that cause problems with the students. A big one down south here is sweat on the brow and nats, hate them little buggers. My electric students stand down when the winds get to 10 mph. Its not the plane thats the problem, the students just dont gain much from instruction. The glow guys stand down at about 18mph. But up until that point I'll make them fly cause the wind is always going to be there. At a park, you can land just about in any direction which is pretty nice. Not so at most clubs with runways. Most of my electrics dont have landing gear so I can belly in anyplace I want. There is a difference between airplane drivers, and pilots. And I dont have a problem with someone that wants to fly outlaw, go for it. I know clubs arent always the best way to go. I see the politics too. This is all just my opinion, I'm not trying to say its right and you're wrong.
Edwin