RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best water based primer solution.
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 08:53 PM
rlemaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best water based primer solution.

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. For the planes I fiberglass, the sealing issue isn't such a big one. I use West Systems resin for that and for me it works much too well to go any other way. However, for planes I cover with canvas type materials (eg: Koverall), I'm experimenting with using something like Hodgepodge glue. It works pretty well so far, but you raise an interesting concern. Given that it is water based, I'm not sure it will do such a great job of sealing the wood. So far I've used Sig Nitrate Dope on those but that stuff is really nasty from an "air" perspective.

I may just have to stick with the auto primer, but one of my biggest gripes about it is having to go with the spray can based products. I'd really like to find something similar that I can brush on for the sanding coats then maybe spray for the base-coat. I've found grey primer like this, but in this case my plane is mostly white, so I really need white primer.

I've been using KlassKote clear for the clear-coat and I have to say that even over latex paint, it works really well. Just seems like we aren't at a place where we can get away from solvent based solutions for all of this.

Thanks,
Russ