RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best water based primer solution.
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best water based primer solution.

Hello Russ,

If your looking for a white primer look into House of Color, it's really nice. It's a little heavy but we're sanding most of it off. I'm just fininhing a T-38 which will be white and I'm using it as a sealer coat by thinning it down before spraying. I'll be using Auto Air for the basecoat.

I just saw on the internet that Valspar has a waterbase primer they say is sandable. I'll see if I can get some and give it a try. I don't think it will be a filler primer that will met our requirements like a automotive primer. I'll get back to you on this.

One of he best sealers I have found and have been using or years is Minwax sealer. If you follow the directions it works great. Never had any problem using a waterbase product on top of it. I also use it under epoxy resin to seal the wood to keep the epoxy from soaking in and adding weight. Very little smell, wife loves it....

Yep we're stuck with solvents at this time, but it's getting better..By the way I still use lacquer primers out of a spray gun. The stuff in the spray cans are so thin it takes several cans to get good coverage. By spraying I can control the thickness and it is a lot cheaper and covers much better.

Rick