RCU Forums - View Single Post - Marutaka/ Royal Zero 62
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
GrahamPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Marutaka/ Royal Zero 62

Time for a bit of an update. I've not given up, but I do have another project on the go! I'm also building a 46 inch mosquito. Anyway the fuselage has moved on a little and is on hold untill I get a chance to get the right kind of snakes for the tailwheel and rudder at a show later in the summer. Then the vertical stab will be glued into place and it will just be a case of finishing and sanding before glassing the fuselage.

I've had a go at one of the wings. I always trace my plans onto grease-proof paper. I used to work in a drawing office, and this comes very naturally to me and makes building the second wing relatiely easy. I just turn my tracing over.

I decided to glue depth tabs on the ribs to help with alignment. They are tacked in place with the tiniest amount of cyano.

The ribs were then assembled over the spar. The ribs had been cut for retracts, servo leads and split flaps before assembly. I used packing under the outer ribs to add a small amount of washout.  I also measure the height of the trailing edge of the ribs and mark it on my traced plan. When I come to build the other wing I will aim to get the heights of the respective ribs to correspond.

I'm using these servo holders which were successful on my Spitfire. I purchased three sets for the Spitfire which enabled me to fit a pair for the ailerons and two RH units for the flaps - which makes setting up the radio easier! That means that there are two LH holders for the flaps on the Zero! You can see the flap spar in place here. Again I'm using the system I came up with to add split flaps to my Spitfire. More details in another place about half way down the page. It's worked well and makes an astonishing difference to the Spitfire's landing speed.