RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to handle the guys with flawed plans?
Old 06-24-2012, 06:51 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

Here's the one thing I found about a club back when I wanted to first get started in it. The majority of pattern flyers were arrogant, and hogged the airfield to do repetitive flying, over and over and over again, so I never had a chance to even run up my engine. This was back in the days when there were AM radios, with few frequencies to work with.  

There was one guy who did attempt to help me, he was a pilot for American Eagle, and was also a member of the Lima Lima's, and I will never forget him. He got my little ARF up in the air, trimmed it out and handed me the radio. He had me flying circles, and even a loop, and after a few  minutes I had a big ol smile on my face, then it turned to horror when the plane suddenly decided to no longer respond to the radio.  It fly into a tree, and eventually fell down. I picked up the pieces and thanked him for the help and drove off.

Before that day though I had the field to myself, and attempted to fly it myself. I promptly crashed it on take off.  I fixed the plane and a week later asked for help when I met this guy.    The reason I gave it up though is cost, I just could not afford it at the time. The reason I shy away from clubs is some of them are arrogant, air hogs, and wouldn't give you the time of day, and yell at you if you even breath on their plane.

However, being a know it all when you know nothing, and then bragging about it to someone who knows you dont know jack, can turn some who want to help away from actually helping.  The guys who have the patience to help others like this are Gods, and hats off to you guys.