RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to handle the guys with flawed plans?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Sherv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

I was self taught... However when I started going to my local club I never rejected any advice since I believe everyone knows something I don't (from experiences they have had). I believe this in everything... Work... Hobbies... Current Events... and so on.. No one can know everything... But in a group everyone can contribute something that they know or experienced that is insightful.

That said I tell people join a club to learn but if you asked me "Would you learn alone again?" I would say yes with a grin. Only I wish I did not get so cocky in my skills as I was developing them.

I see some have complained about cheap planes and I agree.. However there are good cheap planes out there the problem is research is required.

Learning to fly alone taught me a lot of things.... What to look out for each time I fly, check all control surfaces, hinges, control horns, servos, batteries, how to repair broken wings/stabilizers, I learned that smooth and small corrections are best, and to be calm. You can learn all these from an instructor but because I flew a lone it is all burned into my mind with my past experiences (good and bad).

I would definitely have saved money with an instructor but it wouldn't have been such a memorable and formative experience.

My AXN Floater jet cost 40 dollars with the frame and motor... ESC/Servos was anothe 20 dollars. Batteries were 8 dollars each. Possibly one of the best planes I've ever flown and the best I've owned. It is fast (60mph), aerobatic, and stable. I also have a more traditional balsa plane (Advance 25e) and I love it too but I enjoy my AXN The most... Partly because I dont care if it crashes, I've never been able to break it and the few times I did snap something it glued back together with CA and you couldnt tell it ever snapped off.