RCU Forums - View Single Post - How to handle the guys with flawed plans?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:55 PM
cfircav8r
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to handle the guys with flawed plans?

I learned how to fly alone with a glider first then onto "cheap" foam .049's (this was the 80's when foam planes were heavy and brittle.) When I finally moved up to full house glow models I had it pretty well figured out. I found a group of guys flying at a makeshift field (a club for "outlaws") and started flying with them. Not one ever questioned my abilities or offered any unwanted advice, however they all "showed interest" in what I brought, asked a lot of general questions and I am sure looked it over carefully. Over the years I learned from them that the best way to approach new people or potentially unsafe situations is to ask leading questions, ones that will get them thinking, and it can let you know what to watch out for. You will occasionally need to flat out say that just won't work and hope they listen. The biggest problem I had back then is I was barely old enough to drive and some of the new guys were in their 40's, so what kind of advice could a punk kid give them, even though by this time I had been flying, daily, for over 4 years. At that point I stood back and when it was all over just said "I told you so" as they picked up the pieces and grumbled excuses. This was not the best way to handle that situation, but I was just a teenager after all. I would add taht I am very cautious of offering to fly other peoples A/C, this just sets you up for problems if it fails to fly through no fault of your own.