RCU Forums - View Single Post - Are all RC forum's activity in decline?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:03 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are all RC forum's activity in decline?

ORIGINAL: LaTuFu

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I do believe that the forums are losing ground. The internet has become a place that anything you read must be taken with a grain of salt. There are shills promoting substandard products and distributors . You have the ''instant experts'' giving advice that even sounds wrong and hobby suppliers ripping people off.

You can't buy or trade anything on the forums for being afraid that you'll get ripped off.

Look at the bio stats of some of the posters here on this forum and notice how many provide a location to where they actually live. What would happen if every member had to provide not only where they live, but their real name as well? It would be a lot different than posting behind a ''screen name''. What would happen to all the frauds, scammers, shills, instant experts and the like? Would they disappear?

Old ''Mr Xpert'' claims he's been flying RC for 20 years and is an expert on LiPos and advises Mr. Noobe, to put that LiPo 5 S in the freezer for 24 hours before charging, and it will be alright. Those in the know will know better. But Mr. Noobe says, '' Hey that's great MrXpert. I'll do just that.''

Now, ''MrXpet has to use his real name, ''Joe Blow'' and advises Mr. Noobe the same thing. Then ''MrHobbyShopOwner'' posts, ''Mr. Joe Blow'' was in my shop last week asking all kinds of dumb questions and bought his first foamy airplane. He's nuts, don't believe him.

Would MrXpert be giving out bad advise? I don't think so.

Do you think that user ''ilhk'' would be posting, '' I've made 10,000 purchases from XXXX company and never had a problem, in fact I get my stuff the day before I order it.'' or

''ilhk'' posted ''Have you guys seen that YYYYY plane at XXXXX company (link), it's so fantastic. I'm ordering one today.'' With a join date of XXX 2007 and a total of 3 posts.

What if ''ilhk'' had to use his real name and location, would he be posting stuff like that? I think not!

Hiding behind the vale of the web, breeds corruption.

Will the internet change? No, it will stay the same.

I would rather be told that the poster represents XXXX company and they have a new plane on the market. As for the MrXperts, I tell eveyone to get the same answer from 3 or 4 people before you believe it, or make sure the advisor has some type of creditials first. For instance, am I going to believe some Joe Blow or Clarence Lee about advise about engines? I'll go with Mr. Lee.

That's only my opinion.

Frank
AMA # 5810
Everything you describe as a ''problem'' that is resulting in decling use of forums has been a problem on forums, well, since Al Gore invented the interwebs.

These problems are no more or less a part of the forum now than they were 5 years ago, 10 years ago. They've been here the whole time. And on every other forum out there.

I agree with you in part but it seems to have become much worse on some sites in the last couple of years and the focus has shifted to maximum profitability at the expense of providing a service to the site users. So much so that users are intimidated more by the site administrators than they are by the lulzy posters who push products and keep complainers at bay.

RCU is one of the few sites left where you can still find friendly expert advice without being afraid to speak your mind on a subject and there are no management protected shills.