RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale Line Models Great Lakes Trainer Build
Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
ampeater
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scale Line Models Great Lakes Trainer Build

Dave, thanks for all the ref material, I'm sure it'll come in handy. The orange with the black pinstripe was my second choice, but I'm leaning to the way you did yours.

Here are a couple pics of how I modified the front end. Plans call for a 1/4" ply firewall with a bunch of 1/8 ply layers to capture the front gear wires along with a big 1/4 ply engine bearer. I'm still using the 1/8 gear layers, but went to a 1/8 firewall and changed out the engine bearers for a 1/8 ply motor/battery box. The rear gear wires are supported by a v-shaped ply former which was a handy place to connect the back end of the battery box. The battery box should be plenty long to move the batteries for balance. I'll add some tri-stock to the box to reinforce it.

You can see the kevlar spiderwire I used to tie the cabanes to the fuse. Also, I soldered some clips to the rear cabane and front gear wire for the rigging.

I also found this logo (I think from the great lakes web site) a while ago that I was going to attempt to make a decal of.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23327.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1778649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70552.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1778650   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76324.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	19.7 KB