RCU Forums - View Single Post - SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 AM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

ORIGINAL: ahicks

With that in mind, my experience has been that a rich engine rarely quits. To that end, I leave both needles fat when adjusting on the ground - so unplanned glider practice is minimized? THEN, once airborne, you can fine tune with an educated guess on which way you need to go to get to optimum (usually a compromise you can live with, seldom perfect).''

The take with you point is that a rich engine rarely quits in the air. Many guys are setting up the low speed as lean as possible, looking for a smooth idle, concerned that it's going to ''load up'' - and that's biting them in the butt once airborne. That's not the plan when setting up a gasser. Properly set on idle that engine should actually be running kind of uneven, not hitting on every stroke? These engines are pretty capable of running rich without loading up to the point they'll get you in trouble because of it..... -Al
No truer words....

This should be a "gas engine" sticky.

I whole heartedly agree.

That's exactly how I made the first dozen flights with my engine... set it rich and let it fly.

Not a single deadstick after I set it that way.

You might not get the best power output initially, but it is easier to tweak the needles down a bit at a time as it breaks in.

If you get a deadstick, you've gone too far.