RCU Forums - View Single Post - Scale Line Models Great Lakes Trainer Build
Old 07-05-2012, 09:50 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Scale Line Models Great Lakes Trainer Build

Yeah, definitely looking good, I like your use of the spiderwire. Gotta tell ya, your solder jobs look GREAT!!I'm no great shakes with a soldering iron - was lucky that every one of my solder joints was a good one as they were originally. You're doing GREAT with the "mass" aspect - mine had enough mass in that frontal area to give the loggers a day off, I dumped THATMUCH balsa, spruce & hardwood out of the front end.

When you get to it, I got my cockpit combing from Tower - worked just great. Also, not sure of just how the cockpit-hatch connects PROPERLY (mine was truly messed up when I got it) but I used bicycle spokes to hold mine down - cowl top too (but you won't have to worry about that, having the fibreglass cowl available).

Tell me if I'm wrong - you're building yours with the crank at the top of the cowl, ya? That would be the original "E" model, as I understand how they were labeled at that time. EVERYTHING coming out of the factory today is listed as "E" - - 2T-1E.

Another small tidbit of trivia - the WACO people just bought rights to build new Great Lakes planes too. I guess this has been just in the past couple weeks. They're planning to build a couple dozen planes this year and they're aiming for 100 planes/year after that.

Yup - your logo is the exact same one I got from the website - I just used the center portion because the guys in the full-size birds seem to change the style of the words as they please and the particular bird I modeled after had the name tiny-printed underneath. Hey, if you're not comfy with doing your own decals just let me know. I've got the paper and spray right here - won't take a minute to print them out and send them to you. Just let me know how tall you want - happy to do it.

Dave