RCU Forums - View Single Post - Taylorcraft crash
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Taylorcraft crash

OK first of all this is in the wrong forum.
But to see what the fuss was about I looked at the manual, it can be downloaded here
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...cc-bnf-HAN4920

If you look on page 21 it clearly shows there is a wing spar and a locator spar, so those two tubes carry the load.
The nylon bolt as well as the strut hold the wing against the fuse.
There would be so little outward pressure placed on that bolt it would be almost unmeasureable.

I have a black horse stuka which uses a similar method, I actually forgot the bolts on one flight and only found out after I landed, (very stupid and lucky) my point being the wings didn't simply slip out even after a few sharp rolls/dives etc. and that was with no bolts at all.
That model has very small dowel locator pins, much smaller and shorter than the taylorcraft.

Looking at the pics I cannot see how even if you left the bolt out, why wouldn't the struts keep the wing snug against the fuse?
The locator tube is very long, so how can the wing even slip out that far to disengauge the locator pin far enough without the struts holding it in.
Can someone with this plane confirm this? Leave the bolts out and see if you can pull the wings out far enough to disengauge the locator tube.