RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flight-Model KI-61 ???
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2012, 06:40 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Flight-Model KI-61 ???

I test flew the Tony today. Warm day, about 88F but light wind. Assembled at field. tested retracts. Then engine was balky. Had not run in a while. Resorted to electric starter. Got it started and running ok. Did a high speed taxi tail came up and felt ok. Cut throttle and taxied back. Good ground handling, no tendency to nose over. On take off gradually added power, just a little right rudder to keep straight eased off the ground at about 2/3 throttle. Took 6 or 7 clicks of right aileron trim, 4 or 5 click down trim. Then retracted gear. Took another 2 clicks down trim with gear up. Tried a loop and roll. ok. Then tried flaps. Had pitch up. Took 4 or 5 clicks of down trim with flaps down. Tried approach stall, with gear and flaps down. Never did get a good break. Just dropped nose and banked a little to the left. Very gentle. Did some slow flight and then landed. Came in slow and landed slower.

Both take offs and landings are slow, but controls remain effective at the low speeds, unlike some warbird.

I reduce elevator throws some and also aileron throws. Rudder and flaps were ok. Flaps were about 45 degrees. Put in 3 percent up mix with gear down and 6 percent down mix. mix with flaps down. CG is 95 mm behind leading edge at root. Instructions say 120 mm for CG. My advise is don't do it. It would be very tail heavy maybe uncontrollable.

The DLE 20 was plenty of power. Not unlimited verticle, but plenty for me. Great combination. Small 3.25 inch wheels proved ok, probably because the plane is so light. Empty weight is right at 10 lbs. This plane is very easy flying for a warbird.

Got three flights in today. No pictures or video, I forgot the camera. Maybe tomorrow.