RCU Forums - View Single Post - Re-building Casburn King Lucky Fly
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 07:08 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re-building Casburn King Lucky Fly

I found the plane hangin at wild bills for 100 bucks. Sadly, it wasnt built completely right, and the wings skins where glued on with 3m 77 spray...a big no no.
It had been painted ....about 3 lbs worth of filler and paint. Looked like dog crap. Anyhow, I been messin with it on and off for some 7 years now. I just about have the paint all removed. Theres still some traces but I can smooth that out. Im gonna monokote the thing when Im done.
I had to round off everything on the plane, as it was all left square....gawd! I rounded the nose, the wingtips, and the spinner area. I'm at the point where I want to create a fillet from the bottom of front fuse, to the wing bottom , for a smooth transition. Problem is, the builder made a hatch that the fuel tank sits on, and I have no idea as to the thickness of the bottom of the nose section,stated on the plans.....I have no plans for it. So, anyone have a plane for this plane?
I will just blend it in with thick balsa if need be...
Heres the other fixes Im doing.
Remove all paint, and fillers, and recover in monokote.
rebuild under nose section.
Round all areas that need it.
Feulproof the engine compartment.
drill small holes in wing skins, run thin foam safe c.a. into the holes, to firmly attach the obeechie ply skins where they have lifted.
I have some stuff done, some in the works.
I'll post some pics if any intrested....
so...anyone have a plan for a johnny casburn king lucky fly? its the 90 size one.
thanx
d