RCU Forums - View Single Post - Comp ARF Spitfire build
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
Lab Doc
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF Spitfire build

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I have a question about the engine mounting and alignment in this bird. I'm installing a DA-85 engine with a JTEC inverted pitts muffler in this project. I mounted the engine flush with the firewall with a 3/32" washer under the engine mounting lugs and I'm using a Sierra 1.5" prop hub extension. The problem I'm running into is the spinner backplate isn't even with the front of the cowl, with a very visible and singnificant gap on the right side (about 5/32" ) while the left side is about 1/16". Anyone else whose building this kit have this same issue? The problem is do I now asymmetrically mount the engine on the firewall with a wedge rather than a uniform ply plate of 3/32", or do I modify the back end of the cowl to match the engine? The latter would make the back end of the cowl asymmetrical. The former would create a right engine thrust line. Your input is appreciated.

For those of you installing a full depth cockpit, how deep from the window ledge did you go?

Since a full cockpit will interfere with the stock servo installation for the rudder and elevator, did anyone place them far behind the cockpit or move the whole tray in front of the cockpit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45468.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1783680   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk32054.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	1783681