RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

Earlwb, I found a better method of marking cowls for motor cutouts a while ago.

I had originally used stiff cardboard and working slowly carved the opening to fit over the motor, then folded it away till the motor was removed and the cowl bolted on. Taping the cardboard back onto the cowl then showed the area to be removed. This was a time consuming and laborious process that many times required starting again.

Since then I found clear and stiff binder protector pages provide a much easier method. As with cardboard you provide a fold line in the plastic sheet and once taped to the fuse, hold it over the motor. Using a sharpie I can mark the area to be removed with greater accuracy the first time. Some shifting may be required to account for angles if the head/cylinder protrude a lot, but in the end it works first time and is a lot more accurate, (the edge is a lot sharper than cardboard or heavy paper).
My Wingsmaker (World Models) 1/5 Piper J-3 Cub came W/a clear plastic cowl layover to do the engine cut outs.

It would be nice if all models came W/one of those.

I'm thinking that one could use a 2 liter bottle shrunk over the cowl to make a similar layover for smaller cowls.