RCU Forums - View Single Post - 72 mhz still ok?
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 72 mhz still ok?

ORIGINAL: ramboy

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

2.4 has one advantage. YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR BUDDY SHOOTING YOU DOWN.

Tell that to the 2 beginners at my field who each lost a Hanger 9 Alpha 40 trainer with the Spectrum 2.4 transmitter. The receiver lost the link to the transmitter in both cases. A certified flight instructor was at the controls during both instances.

That is unfortunate. Being Shot Down by a pilot on the same frequency as you, while you have the Frequency Pin, cannot happen with a 2.4 radio.

The marketing hype saying the 2.4 Ghz link between transmitter and receiver can never be broken is flat out wrong.
The Link can be interfered with but nowhere near the same degree as 72mhz. RF noise is rarely an issue with 2.4.

The issue is being noticed by the AMA. There was an article in Model Aviation a few months back about the number of crashes with 2.4 radio equipment.
The last I heard from the AMA was they are considering withdrawing their support of the 72mhz frequencies with the FCC. It will still be available for a long time but will be slowly compromised.
This was discussed at the large electric festival held at the Phoenix Arena a few years ago. It was planned to drop the support when the sales of 2.4 equipment exceeded the sales of 72 equipment. That has happened a long time ago. I have not heard anything about since that time.