RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 PM
rowdyjoe
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Ok Garry, since the HS needle has a fixed seat its best to set the HS at full peak and leave it there while adjusting the LS needle, this eliminates one variable You always want the LS needle a little on the rich side when the setting the HS needle the first time, Once the ZLS needle is set, it will be a long time before it needs attention again if ever. A too lean LS needle renders the HS needle ineffective.
OK Dave, Iunderstand what you're saying and Ihave learned more about the relationship between the two today. The LSis still rich as is evident by the pinch test at idle (rpm rises when pinched). There's a lot of smoke when transitioning to higher rpm and there's a light smoke trail at high rpm. I don't know if that's an indicator of anything other than the amount of lube that's in the fuel. I'm using 30% nitro/23% lube heli fuel at the moment. The engine seems to like it but, it sure smokes a lot. One or two neighbors may have thought my garage was on fire but, nobody called the FD ...thank God.
I'll put the plane on the run-up bench again tomorrow and see if Ican reach a better setting between the two. At the moment, transition is smooth, idle is OK, and high speed is good with no excessive heat. However, I don't think Ileft the HSneedle at max. rpm while adjusting the LS. I'm pretty sure Iadjusted it about 500 or 600 rpm down from peak and then adjusted the LS. I'll try to correct that tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Garry