RCU Forums - View Single Post - Unexplained loss of control
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Unexplained loss of control

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

I lost control of a giant scale and crashed. Flew this plane half a dozen times with no gliches.

I am running futaba 2.4 faast. A 6ex TX and R617FS RX. Dual batteries, 5-cell 200mah nimh, dual switches to dual ports on the rx. The ignition is powered from a hobby king bec plugged into the rx power system. The servos are hi-tech. The ignition is RCEXL. All connections are secured with shrink tubing.

I am most suspicious of the BEC. I have flown several planes wired exactly the same way many-many times.

The plane survived with modest damage. After the crash I range checked it in power down mode to over 100-yards. I also tapped the tx while working the servos with no gliching.

I have two questions. First, should I send the RX to Futaba for a check out? Second, any ideas on what might have gone wrong?
I almost lost one just this past weekend. After all was said and done I found out it was a battery. I could hook a voltmeter to the battery and it was jumping up and down from around 4 volts up to almost 6. Never saw one do quite like that. You could sit there and just watch the voltmeter jump up and down randomly and sort of cycle through voltages.

Of course with your setup it can be a number of things, just make sure you are thorough in checking everything out. One other thing that I had happen once was strange. I kept losing control to a plane and I finally found it to be an aileron connection that was coming loose during flight! I would have never thought it would make the plane go crazy as far as radio connection - once fixed no more issues.