RCU Forums - View Single Post - LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Very interesting thread. Some of the believed info that lies in the industry is very erroneous to say the least. I would think it would be quite clear. I built many Sig kits in my early days but left them as the selection has not changed in over 20 years, and in some cases almost 40 years. Their models fly great, period. Always have and always will. One thing I question is below.

The title of this thread. When has Horizon ever bought up any model kit manufacturer? We never have just to clarify and have no intentions to do so. We do our own development on aircraft design. Hobbico has bought up many over the years, maybe some insight would have delivered a more accurate thread title.

Sig has delivered great designs over the years. We have all agreed on this. But as brought up in this thread, when have they recently brought out a truly new design to meet the ever changing model industry? They haven't that I am aware of. For the most part hobby shops don't stock kits anymore. Reason is they don't sell. You have to pay the bills. Modelers today want it quick, fast, and easy. Only us old guys want to cut and glue things together. Our society has proven it is all about instant gratification!

I ordered up a Kadet LT-40 for my son to build when he started flying 3 years ago. He framed it by himself and enjoyed it. As soon as he had to sand it the progress stopped. The short story is I threw that model away as it never was completed. I believe you will find this to be the same story for any new young guy looking to enjoy this hobby. My son looked at me and said why am I doing this when I can get it already done?

Those are the cold facts that we see every day in this industry. There is no money in the kit business and the cost to produce is nearly the same as producing an ARF model. I know you may find that hard to believe, but I can assure you it is. Kits are a thing of the past unfortunately like Detroit muscle cars, barrel back boats, and slot machines that pay out in actual money not paper receipts. Times have changed.

I have a few Sig kits that are still new that I would happily sell off if anyone is interested. A sad day but I can turn the cash into some new servos or even fuel for my sons jet to fly at an event.

I was raised on the Maxey Hester/Hazel Sig program and it was one of the best with Joe Bridi and Carl Goldberg. They belong in the hall of fame just like Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson. Great memories live inside me and for those still able to fly one of the great designs, enjoy as you are enjoying what built the hobby today.