RCU Forums - View Single Post - Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread
Old 07-29-2012, 02:19 PM
TampaRCGuy
My Feedback: (282)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight Vanquish 2m Build Thread

ORIGINAL: dando

Hello,
I've got a question for you. I'm trying to get the Futaba S9650 servos in the elevator halves, but haven't managed to yet. I filed the servo bay in one of the halves about a milimeter each side lenght-wise, but the servo still doesn't fit in there. Should I file out around half a milimeter more each side and get closer to the pre-drilled screw holes, or use another method of inserting the servo? Should I just push it straight in there or I'd have to tilt it to one side so the cable goes in first?
My other thoughts are about the servo horns used on the plane. The ones from Dubro with 3/4'' (~19mm) distance from the servo shaft center to the hole are recommended for the ailerons and, I believe, for the elevator. Wouldn't this induce too much throw (more than 20-25 degrees)? Has anyone used a cut S9650 four-sided horn (like one of these)? I'll be using Futaba S9650 servos for the elevator halves and Futaba S9551 servos for the ailerons.
Also, is the double-sided horn in the Dubro package alright to use for the rudder servo horn?
I am aware that Dubro horns are a little sloppy on the Futaba servo splines.
Some servo installation photos would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Nickolay
I also have the S9650's in the tail. You will have to remove some of the ply mount to where the servo screws would be, maybe 2-2.5mm. Just keep trimming until you can get them in. It took me about an hour for the first one and then about 20 minutes for the second one. Also, if you use the Dubro servo arms, you will have to trim the opening. I elected to use metal servo arms that I already had which are much thinner than the Dubro arms. I have the Dubro arms on all other servo's.