RCU Forums - View Single Post - Top-Flite Contender
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Top-Flite Contender

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Hi Rick,
I will be having some fun with this one. I had to mow grass when I got home from work today so it is slowing me down a bit.

It has been years since I have covered a plane with Monokote and I am going to need some pointers. I will be doing a Red,White and Blue pattern with overlapping colors. What is the best way to seal the edges of the monokote? I will be applying some of the trim parts with windex and little heat. Is monokote trim solvent best or acetone?
Later!!
Anthony

Anthony,
You have outdone yourself once again......I fell a sleep for six days and you have about finished the thing.
I have not tried the acetone yet for applying trim. I have successfully used monokote trim solvent for doing narrow strips of monokote to form trim around the windows of a Decathlon. It even worked around the windshield. But I had to cut the pieces curve to fit - obviously since I was not using heat to stretch and shrink. I have had some success using the Windex trick for larger trim pieces. But heat is still need to keep the stuff on. even with the Windex to squeegee out the air I still ended up with those pesky little bubbles that needed poked with a pin.
Anyway...your plane is looking as good as I figured it would. Looks like you got the covering stretched around the lower nose well.