RCU Forums - View Single Post - The origins of Heng Long tank designs
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 08:14 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The origins of Heng Long tank designs

Heck you folks only are dealing with two companies and who may have or may not have copied one another. Take a trip over to the electric aircraft side some time.
I can show you the same plane from multiple manufacturers. The same motor with copies of the copies of the copies. Heck some of them are so blatant they just stick their labels over the other guys. Yeah they may scrimp here and there, but sometimes it's actually the other way around.

I've had Chinese ARF's that were better built then the ones they supposedly copied.
Lipo batteries, there are if I remember correctly less then half a dozen manufactures, yet how many brands are out there.
I run 2.4 in many of my planes and my one (so far) tank. Why would I spend 50+ for a Spektrum rx, when I can grab the same animal from Hobby King for under 10?

They have their place, as stated, for many it's the only way they could afford to get into a hobby.
Is what they do wrong? yeah, but if we didn't buy them they wouldn't be in business.

If you want something to think about, hopefully you won't experience what is happening with some of the aircraft kits, and the manufacturers of the real thing.

For example Lockheed has put the hammer down on anyone copying the WWII P-38 Lightning and others, and has so for some time. To produce a replica of it you must pay a licensing fee to Lockheed and a per unit fee.
Lockheed has their own group of folks (EMI)who's sole purpose it to track down any type of copying, of "their" design. And not just r/c, they are even going after artistic representations.

Horizon put out a P-38 a while back, and right there on the box was the "licensed by Lockheed".

Just Google what Lockheed is doing. And hopefully your tank companies don't follow suit, or you will be at best paying for the right to model something or worse not see it available due to the kit folks not being or wanting to pay the fees.

Here's one from right here on RCU, from way back in 05.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...tm.htm#2695992

Or how bout one right from one of the model makers.
http://www.djaerotech.com/index1.html

Funny I bought a Cessna 337 to build about a year ago. When it showed every and I mean every reference to "Cessna" were gone. The lettering on the box was blacked out, ditto the build manual. Heck they even went as far as cutting out Cessna on the decal sheets.

Be happy with what you have, a choice. Some day you may not have one.