RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMA to close the AMA Discussions Forum

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

From what you're saying it sounds like I was right. As they implemented it, it served no useful purpose. The simple fact that there were so few posters is evidence of that. Had the AMA really considered the RC community and how it works, they would have put a representative on the established forums to interact with people that way. It would have likely cost less and would have generated a lot more traffic.
No, jester, you are not right. With your limited experience in aeromodeling and AMA as a unit (Airplane Experience - 0 years building - 6 years operating - Intermediate pilot) I propose that you are not yet seeing what is called "The Big Picture". Having been a modeler and AMA member since late '40s and watched AMA come from an office in the DC red-light district (not a nasty as I was in that office when I was a DVP) active in FF, CL, and RC, I have had the opportunities to get a fair view of that Big Picture.

IMO, the forum was enacted to satisfy a number of members, then saddled with restrictions and punishments that only those living under the "Yes Sir, Yes Sir, Three bags full" doctrine could withstand. I have observed and been a target for AMA management to keep me quite, and also quite removed.

BTW, the number of posters ia a small percentage of those reading those posts. There were frequently a high number of "Visitors" as compared to the posting members on the forum. When visitors learned of aeromodeling items being presented, then AMA profits as another individual learns something about model aviation. Look at the Beginners forum here on RCU. So many newbies get not-too-good information from good modelers, yet the newbie gets something that works now and can go forward. Arguments happen but AMA used that to kick members off the forum. AMA did not want the forum and now it uses all sorts of excuses to get rid of it.