RCU Forums - View Single Post - Larger Revolver
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Larger Revolver

ahicks = I like your suggestion about the washers. My current Rev 70 has an OS 120 4s and I've noticed it does pull up slightly on WOT, probably for the reason you cite. I might just try that. Though it'll through out of whack my perfectly centered spinner! (unless I move the cowl..)

Was flying my Rev 70 yesterday as a guest at a new (for me) club - Floyd Bennet Field in Brooklyn. Pretty cool setup - they get to use 1,000 ft of one of the old runways (this airfield was a military base in WWI and WWII). This club is renowned for guys flying expensive jets, and giant-scale planes. So I'm flying the Rev 70 - second flight - am at about 80 ft, pretty much over the runway, when suddenly the canopy flies off. It starts floating \ tumbling down, falling towards the pit area (where there were plenty of people). I and others shouted "heads up - falling piece!", and I landed the plane, no problem. A guy brought the cowl over to me - surprisingly little damage. I asked if it had hit anyone or anything and he said it didn't - bit of luck there!

Then I saw the problem - the two wooden "legs" that come down from the cowl and house the blind nuts has both pulled out of the cowl - they were still screwed into the plane. I had repaired this cowl from a previous crash and fabricated those two legs. Evidently the epoxy I used to hold them in wasn't strong enough. Go figure. Now I need to re-anchor them better.

Fortunately I had a second plane - my CG Sukhoi \ DLE 30 - so I could still fly.

btw - they still let me join their club!