RCU Forums - View Single Post - P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM
WARBIRDRCER
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: P-40 Brotherhood (All P-40's Welcome)

In 2011, a modeling friend built a1/7 scale TF P-40 kit. A short time after completion, and before any flight time was put on the aircraft he handed the airplane to me and my little helper, the Talimena Kidd as a gift.

A few days ago a friend and I were talking about a framed up 1/7 scale TF P-40 he was having built for his young son who likes warbirds and showed an interest in conducting an electric powered conversion on it.

Now before you jump out of your flight suit hear me out.

I to have some smaller electric warbirds, and my little helper and I have quite a lot of fun with them. The overall convenience is great, and this was an opportunity for he and I to increase our knowledge of larger electric aircraft along with my modeling friend.

Luckily I have a local hobby shop where the owner is very well versed in the large aircraft electric technologies. His experience has involved him with powering 50cc IMAC aircraft with electric power that was very competitive in competition, and he is now engaged with electric powered Small Unmanned Systems. How lucky can a person be to have this wealth of knowledge available?

The unpainted P-40 is receiving the electric conversion, while the painted one is currently having a DLE-20 installed. I can say however the Power 60 E flight motor seen on the test stand is turning the Master Airscrew 15x7 3 blade prop at 7000 RPM at 45 amps with 10 amps remaining for 55 amp continuous operation. It is my belief this powerplant can produce equal output as the DLE-20 which turned this prop at 8400 RPM on the test stand. The electric power package consist of the E flight Power 60 motor, an 80 amp speed control, and a 5000 mah 6 cell, 22volt Lipo.

In addition to this, my rough hanging weight comparisons were about equal at an estimated 12 pounds each in their full flight configurations.