RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC Guys Super Decathlon coming
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 07:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: RC Guys Super Decathlon coming

Hi Paul,

I got a return call from Dan at RC Guys, he took a while to call me back. Seems I just missed him when he left to bring a load of them across the border. ***SIGH*** Yeah, I missed this week's shipment, he called me after he got back from crossing the border. Anyway, my new RC Guys Super Decathlon is ordered.

Not a huge deal, any way; I should finish the repairs on my Giant Super Sportster and get it back in the pink before I start the Decathlon project. And it WILL be a project, because yes, I'm going to do a build video on it. I decided today. It'll take longer, but it's not like I don't have planes to fly in the meantime. I'll probably dig in and start straightaway on it, and work on the GSS in between. I'm thinking the first video will be the looking at what comes out of the box. I'll probably get some drool on the lens, but those are the hazards of doing these videos.

I'm not going to do a review build, I'm going to do a build so that guys can follow along with me as I do it MY way, which will include using some parts other than what comes with the ARF hardware, and my own processes, some of which are shortcuts, some of which are longer than usual, but I always have reasons for that.

Fuel tank! Use a PSP aluminum Fiji water bottle cap, a Fiji 16-oz water bottle, and decent-weight clunk you have in your parts drawers, and some Tygon medium tubing. You'll need to get a TETTRA L-Type Nipple with flange for a vent fitting to put in the shoulder of the bottle. I just bought a package of them, send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you one. This combination of parts makes the nicest fuel tank I've ever used. One thing to remember. Tygon G-R-O-W-S longer and gets very flexible when it sits in gas, so allow 9/16" space between the clunk and the back end. I know you won't believe it at first (I didn't either), and that's okay. Like me, you'll just trim it back a few times. Once you're happy, zip-tie your inside line to the clunk and the cap nipple.

I'll take a photo of a tank if you'd like, so you can see it.

Spinners. Ergh. I'm ticked off with Tru-Turn; they never called me back, and never wrote me back. That's an 85-dollar spinner; you'd think they could be bothered to respond. NOT happy with them. That's not even including the TT-0823A prop locking nut system, which ain't cheap either.

I've seen their Pitts Special. I've always liked the Pitts bipes; I'm a bipe man right from the word go. I really like their Ag Wagon too. The problem is that since I've been in Texas, I have only a tiny fraction of the storage area I had in Maine. This Decathlon required that I sold my glows, because otherwise, there simply will be no place to hang it. Forget the Pitts and the Ag Wagon!

~ Jim ~