RCU Forums - View Single Post - Avastar fuel tank
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:29 AM
bullseye000

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Avastar fuel tank

ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: bullseye000

I finally found a tank that fit the fuse at Value Hobbies. I don't know how the new ones are but I thought I was going to have to toss the whole airframe because of the fuse design.

Bullsye its comments like that that just amaze me and with all due respect to toss an airplane because you cannot find an OEM tank which is more the norm than what you might think, is well its just silly.

I'll bet three burned out glowplugs aginst a stale glazzed donut that all the experianced modelers here could fit an eight or eleven ounce Hayes into your airplane in oh, lets give ourselves time and just say fifteen minutes. A more conventional bung tank would take an extra twenty more minutes or so.

And it would be done properly. There is no reason in the world to not just remove the inside of the bulkheads and use some foam, no reason at all. The easy way is to just use an #11 blade in a handle but short of that use a dremel, chisel, chainsaw or dynamite.

John
Glad something amazed you. Here's the thing... I probably have more modelling experience than most people posting here. Tower in their infinite wisdom chose to sell an airframe that used an unusual shaped fuel tank with an airframe designed around it. Tower also made the decision to discontinue this part. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon one from a local Chinese importer. As much as I enjoy flying the plane I would have had to find a way to modify 2 formers that were buried in the nose of the plane to get another tank with at least 8oz. into it. Being as the airframe is probably at least 12 years old with 100's of flights on it, sometimes it's better to move long to something else. While you find it silly to toss the airframe, I would have found it even more so to waste the time making modifications to an overused airframe when I could be spending my valuable limited shop time on something better.