RCU Forums - View Single Post - On the workbench tonight....
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM
yellowshaker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: On the workbench tonight....

Yes Phil, the Felx board is proving to be a versatile addition to a system that already proven itself in many ways. The limits that were present in an elmod board previously have disappeared now, with the aspect of addtional power that can be supplied and the use of larger motors through external ESC's. This tank is by far the heaviest 1/16 tank I have worked with, and I had to find a way to give it enough power to produce both speed and torque so it could live up to its namesake. The Abrams tank is not one i am very familiar with, but this project has forced me to research and learn as much as I could in a short amount of time. the acceleration of the real one is quite amazing, given the fact that it weighs over 70 tons in combat form.Yet, it can run over twice the speed of anything in its weight class from WW2. Perhaps faster than that, as its top speed is still classified. the turret can turn at an astounding speed as well, and it has a gun stabilization unit that can keep on target at full speed over any terrain.Formidible is an understatement . This thing is a flat out killer. Now, I cannot give it everything that its 1:1 counterpart has, but I wanted to make it close.At least enough that other tankers think twice before attempting to trade blows with it. So far, mission accomplished. I ran into some trouble with the turret traverse, which I thought would be no problm.Wrong as usual. After hours of trying to get it functional through a Syren ESC, I was on the verge of giving up.I spoke to a couple of club mates, late into last night on the problem.Jim and Charlie, thank you both for your input.In the end it turned out to be a faulty capacitor on the motor that was giving me grief.I finally got it sorted out late last night, and tested it today, after Wil was gracious enough to bring me a battery charger capable of chraging this 18.5v LiPo.The turret is not completely functional, as is the drive system.All that's left is to get the leighting system wired up and test all the functions of the battle system and the speed of the tank outside. The rain started here, so I will have to wait for the latter testing stages.I did run into one other probelm, but I think it is now sorted out too.The track tension was too loose and I found some bent track link. I managed to get a link out of each side and adjust the tension pretty good.Again, it needs to be field tested to make certain there are no problems,and some pins may need to be replaced.This makes plenty of torque to damage the pins and even break them, I think. Time will tell, but so far, so good.Here are a few more shots of the Abrams and the electronics layout in the hull and turret.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89711.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1797609   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59207.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1797610   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26208.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	129.9 KB