RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flying wing gliding in high winds
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 10:26 AM
PDN777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flying wing gliding in high winds

@speedracerntrixie writes:

"In both cases you posted light airplanes flying in strong slope lift. The " Wind " is being directed upward by the slope and thus providing lift. In the first video the combination of lift and wind speed exceeded the gliders terminal speed because the wing loading was too light. Increasing the airplanes wing loading would yeald a higher mass. Mass= potential energy, pointing the nose down would convert potential energy into kinetic energy which means speed. If you went further with your serches you would find an R/C glider doing well over 400 mph ground speed on a slope site that has winds blowing 60 mph. "

Yes yes yes!!! As I've looked more, I've found that adding weight raises term. speed. So I'm gonna fly a heavy wing!

And yes, I've seen the 468 mph dynamic soaring video. Fabulous! Alas, the glider is too pricy for our budget...
But it gives me hope that we can find a plane which can withstand 60-70 mph no problem.

Another pilot mentioned to me that even if the head wind exceeds the plane's term. speed,
so it has a negative ground speed (ie, flying backwards), from the plane's point of view,
it still has airspeed and air flow over the wings. So it should be able to fly backwards,
reasonably stable, for a long period. Does this sound right to you folks?

@RCPaul, as I mentioned above, I am working with the FAA to obtain clearance. As it is a combo
weather balloon / RC project (two different sets of regs), we may need a waiver. But my
contact at the Center nearby says we may be able to get it. And we can plan launch and
landing sites far from airports.

Any other observations more than welcome!

Prahas