RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow to electric conversion
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:22 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: glow to electric conversion

Thanks bud [&:] I'm pretty proud of that plane

why do you want to go electric ? you fly 15 minutes then you have to charge unless you have extra batteries $$$$$$ i fly gas and fly 10 times for 18 minutes a flight , dont understand the thinking behind this !!!!!! electrics are ok if that is what you want , we have a few guys at the field who fly them , more gas and nitro , we have 135 members anyway just a thought !!!! i will never go electric !!!

To each there own, and yes there + and -'s to each side of the coin. I can give you a few reasons I love electric's. First off times have really changed, with newer packs and chargers I can't fly as fast as I can charge packs. If i were to only bring two planes and one flight pack per plane, that were charged... I fly the first plane. As soon as I land I put the packs on a 2c or 3c charge which is mild these days, thay can go up to 5c. So a 5000 mah pack at 10 amps takes 25 minutes. While that's going on I fly the second plane... by the time I land, pull the packs and take a quick break the next set is ready.
I can do this all day non stop and fly my butt off...... my new charger can charge at 40 amps and 1400 watts.. with as many packs as I want at once. So there is no down time if well planned.

Then here some things I like that have all been said before:

No fuel mess on the plane, I flew glow and gas for 10 years and most planes were soaked with fuel after a season and the covering would lift. Now my plane last much longer and look new.
No starting the plane with a starter or my hand just flip the switch and your off
No tuning motors or breaking them in or bad glow plugs, air bubbles in lines, and leaky tanks or a messed up clunk... electrics run the same everyday
No vibration to ruin your scale details and break apart your cockpit and plane
No holes in the cowl for a big old motor to hang out and ruin a scale cowl
IMHO a big prop ripping the air sounds more like a real plane than a 2 stroke gas motor and sound systems take it to the next level. (the new gas radail engine sound amazing!! have to give you that big bucks)

I could go on and on.... there is something to love about all types of planes. You have to do what makes you happy and not worry what others do, I do electric becuase I really love it. I like that fact that it's getting better all the time and really is the future. Almost all the new guys coming into the hobby are flying electric, it's what they will teach there kids to fly on.... over the years you will see less and less fuel powered planes. That the trend I've been seeing for the last 10 with no sign of that changing in the future