RCU Forums - View Single Post - glow to electric conversion
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:58 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: glow to electric conversion

Yup, there are reasons for every power system. And they've been hashed over and bashed over way more than enough.

So this thread is about a glow to electric conversion. Sticking to that topic.....

I chose the motor for my conversion of a H9 60 size P47 Thunderbolt based on it's weight and how that model had been hauled around by an OS91.

The OS91 was more than needed. The weight was 7lb-11ounces and the model would do over 100mph. It didn't need to go 100mph at all. So I started looking for something in electric motors that'd have power something like a 2-stroke glow .70 would have. Since nobody much advertises that size my final selection of the RimFire 80 was kickstarted from the "80" being close enough to take the time to read the specs.

There is a rule of thumb about watts/pound applied to the weight of your model. 100 watts will fly most things reliably, although somewhat slowly. 200watts will fly for sure, and do aerobatics. 300watts should do whatever you want to do. Since the Thunderbolt is about 8 pounds, I was looking for motor specs claiming 2000 or so watts. The RimFire .80 specs say it can punch out 2200watts. There you go.....

The specs also call for a 60A ESC. I got a Castle Creations 75. There you go...

The specs say the motor can spin a 15x6 or 15x8. I want to run a 14x7 three blade for looks and performance. There you go.... The OS91 gave both in spades. I'm expecting both in diamond or hearts at least.