RCU Forums - View Single Post - Official Losi Micro SCT Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2012, 11:49 AM
CarGuy7a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official Losi Micro SCT Thread

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

hey how did u go getting the motor appart, mine has a loose connection too, but it seems finr ATM, untill i wiggle the wires
The end bells of the motor are only pressed in and held with CA glue. Take a lighter and heat up the end of the can with the wires to deactivate the CA glue. Then you can take a pair of needle nosed pliers and yank it out. The easiest way is to put one side of your pliers in the half moon cut out for the wires and it should pop out. Once you get it off be very careful though, the wire are directly soldered to the windings in the can and there are 2 wires soldered to each motor wire. It's a PITA but it is fixable. You have to be very careful with the solder as well not to get any drops in the windings or on the rotor. When I got done I put heat sink tubing on the wires. When I put the end bell back in I only put it in half way to line up the rotor in the bearing, then I put a few drops of medium CA on the end bell and pushed it back into the can.

Original: thehuntingterminator
I hate to tell you but that thing is probably gonna cog terrible on NIMH. Heck I ran the 8750kv version on 2s (which should cog a lot less than your setup) and if the lipo wasn't fully charged or the truck was on any kind of incline it would studder for a second or two before taking off at ridiculous speeds.
I noticed that as well when I tested my lipo, but my lipo was also at nominal voltage 7.4v. My theory is that this 8750kv motor just does not have the torque to spool it up from a stop and that's it's made more or less for top end speed.

Original: phmaximus
they do have a point about the diffs. how is the rolling resistance?
It's actually pretty smooth. My truck is about 2 years old so it's loosened up pretty decent. It's still just a little stiff but it's definitely smooth. I just think it's funny how I can put the brushed system back in it and it runs without a problem at all. Put the BL system in it and bam no go.

I'm getting ready to head out there and mess with it now. I'm going to attempt to take off the 12 tooth pinion and put a 10 (or smaller if I have one) on and see if that helps. It says that if I remove the pinion it can damage the motor and void warranty but I've already done that by re soldering the wires so I don't care anymore. My suspicion tells me that if the end bells are glued in so is the pinion. I'm just gonna heat it up and pull on it and see what happens.

Also Horizonhobby.com has thunder power 250mah 2s 25C lipos for the Micro SCT for $12. Here's the part # THP2502SPL25J. They also have JST connectors on them. I'm going to order another one tonight.