RCU Forums - View Single Post - Story of Two StuG's
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: Story of Two StuG's

Thanks for you kind words ausf!!! I've got two going on the work bench. The pig's head is going to be used for my late StuG III G. It's going to be based on an actual vehicle that saw combat. The white you see shining through on the pig's head is Milliput. I used a dark brown rust color to prime it just to be sure the texture looked right. I will have to try the still wool method. I will pm you about your book reference material. Thanks again, ausf.

mustclime, I did the texture on the pig's head with a small ball scribe/cutter bit in a variable speed Dremel tool. By changing speed and bouncing it all over the surface I was able to get the look I wanted.

I was able to get the rolled armor plate look by using a medium stiff tooth brush and liquid cement. I brushed the cement onto the surface of the plastic card and then used the tooth brush by pressing it into the surface. It has taken a lot of trial and error to get that technique right. That said once you get it down it can be replicated with ease. It is just a matter of timing, i.e., when has the liquid cement melted the surface of the plastic enough for one to attack the surface with the tooth brush? Once you get the feel for that it is easy.

I will try to get more done so I can at least prime some parts to show the texture even better.