RCU Forums - View Single Post - 150 meter rule.
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 01:12 PM
cartercg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 150 meter rule.

Over the last year there has been a fair amount of local focus on flying between 150m and 175m, with our chief judge working hard to ensure that our judges apply the rule book accordingly. We were very surprised how far out we were flying. Looks can be very deceptive. Especially with the likes of the F13, flying at less than 170m is more demanding. It was only when we had somebody stand at 150m and call out the distance with a two way radio did we get to appreciate how far out we were really flying.

Flying closer at altitude is even more difficult, as the reduced lift and breaking makes speed management that bit more difficult. A bipe does help in that regard as I do find the bipe presents better closer, is easier to fly more slowly, and the speed can be controlled accordingly.

Personally I found it a lot easier to fly big and fast far out. I'm now flying around 160m. But getting rewarded for flying closer is utterly dependent on the judges and their own perception of distance. If all judges knew precisely how far out we were flying and applied the rule book diligently I bet everyone would be flying within 175m. So I expect the judges will dictate accordingly, and actually need to be trained on what 150m to 175m looks like.

Clint