RCU Forums - View Single Post - 150 meter rule.
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 150 meter rule.

ORIGINAL: EHFAI

The resolution of the ET GPS appears good enough (usually using 9 sats). For example, one can easily determine ''roundness'' of rolling circles (or 8's) as well as size, as these are in a horizontal plane.

Vertical maneuvers are more difficult, some of which lies with the ET viewer. The data are compiled so as to present a track relative to time and we fly a sequence in the same space (box). So the track of each maneuver overlays the previous - it ends up looking like chicken scratch. That means each maneuver (or a couple at most) must be done individually, which is very time consuming.

Some work has been done to translate the data into a 3D ''box'' which would allow an entire sequence to be scrolled through on a maneuver by maneuver basis referencing the time base. It would also be possible to look at a maneuver from various viewpoints. I'll let the persons working on this to comment further if they wish - but work in progress.

Another trick that might work is to switch the logger off/on in flight (which starts a new data group) to limit the overlaying of maneuvers during a sequence - haven't tried that yet.

Good to know somebody is working on the idea.

It probably is not difficult to determine the begin and the end of a displayable maneuver. One possible heuristic would be that such a maneuver starts/ends at the current min or max of the horizontal axis. Once one maneuver is identified, mark it and go to the next one.

I was worried that the GPS does not have enough precision (+/- 20 ft?) to depict a vertical maneuver meaningful to our use.