RCU Forums - View Single Post - 150 meter rule.
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 150 meter rule.

I stood out along that Thornburg road today and got a first hand glimpse of the Masters and FAI pilots (as well as most of the sportsman pilots). The furthest I saw anyone fly at any point during was about 300 meters and that was one maneuver. Most averaged around 200 to 225 meters (with one or two turnaround maneuvers going in as close as 140. I then stood at 200 meters expecting that was probably where Joseph flies. I was very surprised to see that he flew well inside 200 meters in fact I paced back during his flight (I took a video from the right end box roughly) and most of his flight was well inside 175 meters. One FAI pilot flew inside 150 meters consistently. Pretty interesting perspective and this field is set up perfectly for coaching in this regard.

P.S., we miss you Joe but understand fully. Hope her meet went well.

ORIGINAL: 2Sunny

[
I hope you guys have a chance to do just that! Sadly I have to go to my daughters X-country meet on Saturday as my wife is out of town. Here's a Google Earth shot showing 150, 175, and 250 meters. Somebody should print it out and see what everyone thinks. A demo by someone before the contest with a flagger in the field would be interesting for sure.

Joe