RCU Forums - View Single Post - Batteries running-in and swollen batteries
Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Batteries running-in and swollen batteries

Hi,

Last summer I bought 3 pack of 6 cell DesirePower V8 35C 5200 mAh. Midquality/price batteries. I have really tried to "nurse" them according to all LiPo take care of rules I know about. I started the first 10 flights with each pack to not run full power for only short times and I charged at 1C also the first 10 charges of each pack. Then I started to use 2C charging and that is what I use basically all the time, at home and at the field. I have never ran then below 20% capacity left (I have been very careful with that). Always storage charged to 60% capacity when I know I was not going to use the LiPo packs next day. I always balance charge.

How long did my LiPo last with good performance and not swollen?

Well during 1 years of use I managed to get about 200 cycles out of each pack before they started to loose punch and they have also swollen some now. They had difficulty to be balanced also at the end near 200 cycles (took rather long time before the cells was at 4.20 volt/cell at end of charging). I bought a new 6 cell LiPo (another brand) and it is rather big difference in performance between the older packs and this new pack.

I had hoped the 3 LiPo packs would have lasted little longer, perhaps 300 cycles and I would have been very satisfied. But I think it is OK with 200 cycles but if I bought a high end very expensive pack like ThunderPower 45C or 65C then I think I would expect about 300 cycles.
I have used my 6 cell packs in an F3A traning plane (Sebart Wind S 50E).
I use charger Hyperion EOS 0720i Super DUO3 that has worked very well for a year now (my old charger of another brand went up in smoke a year ago).

For the future I hope LiPo batteries pehaps can be slightly lighter even if higher C like 45-65C and I hope for more cycles (I dream of LiPo that can cope with about 500 cycles but I do not know if that will ever happen).
The Lipo brands I have tried (Hyperion, ThunderPower, DesirePower and one Turnigy) has been very good performance so that I'm very pleased with.

/Bo